Sunday, January 15, 2012

Shocked and Saddened

     As I sit down to write this post I am still at a loss for words.  On January 10,2012 (just a few short days ago) a beautiful little girl named Amelia, who, like Dylan has WHS, was denied a life saving kidney transplant because (using the doctor's words) she is "mentally retarded."  I don't want to try to summarize her mother's account of that day, so if you would like to read her posting click HERE
     Being a RN and in the medical field for the past 12 years I have never heard of someone being denied a transplant because of their mental capacity.  Honestly, it never even crossed my mind that it would be a consideration.  How can a doctor be the one who decides who can live and who can die?  If this was happening to Dylan I know that I wouldn't go down without a fight.  Amelia's parents are fighting for her too and I hope and pray that the doctor and the hospital will change their mind and give her a chance at life.  If you would like to support Amelia please follow this link and sign the petition. 

1 comment:

  1. I forwarded this to my former employer and friend Gregory Malia. He has been involved in the medical system for all of his life and I knew he would have something to say regarding this matter. He said the following:

    She needs to get away from that doctor, file complaints with the hospital and contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP.

    Most important is finding a new doctor. The behavior of this doctor is reprehensible ! There is no time to waste in these matters.

    Personal injury lawyers generally don't charge a fee unless you win. In this case, they will claim there may not be any harm. I would argue that every day without a kidney extends the unnecessary suffering of the child.

    Kidney transplants are most often done with family members. That is the best and most reliable transplant for kidneys because it significantly lowers the rejection rate. It also does not involve the organ donor system.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. If you would like me to reply to your comment click on "subscribe by email" at the bottom of the page.