Thursday, September 23, 2010

Back from the Beach

Our little vacation at the beach was wonderful and much needed.  We all had a great time.  The weather was beautiful and we spent everyday down by the water. 

Now for some updates on Dylan:  In my last post I said how sad I was that Dylan hasn't shown much progress in the last few months, well I guess a little break from therapies and appointments was just what he needed.  While we were camping I worked with him everyday with his sitting, standing, and even eating more solid foods.  He was amazing!  He was able to stand by himself with his leg braces on the couch in the trailer looking out the window.  He was even able to turn to me when I called his name and not fall over.  He is able to pull himself up to a sitting position when he grabs my fingers.  I don't even have to pull him up, he is doing it by himself!!!  He is still a little unstable when sitting but I know this skill will come soon.  This morning as we were packing up he was sitting on the couch and he started to fall to the side and put his hand down and pushed himself back to center.  I was shocked because usually when he starts to fall to the side he seems to have no desire or want to try to balance himself and will just fall over.  Then yesterday the most miraculous thing happened.  My mom and I were down at the beach and talking to Dylan and he was talking back in his usual sounds and then he said "HI" in the sweetest little voice I have ever heard!  He has yet to say it again but we both heard him say it plain as day so I am counting "hi" as his first word.  It was so amazing to hear Dylan look right at me and form a word I almost cried.

Now I do have to elaborate on Dylan's new skill of eating solid food.  For the past few weeks he has been refusing a lot of the pureed baby foods.  So I have slowly been introducing him to solid, but soft table foods. I had tried this about two months ago and he ended up choking often and then would sometimes throw up which usually ended up being his entire meal so I felt that maybe he wasn't ready for chewing.  He is ready now!  His diet now includes: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches (which I give to him in small bite size pieces), small pieces of cheese, small pieces of fruit, mac & cheese, spaghetti, salmon, tuna, Gerber puffs and yogurt melts.  He is doing great eating and he is now actually chewing!  Sometimes it takes him a little while but he loves regular food and seems to be over baby food.  I am so proud of our little man!  He makes me smile every day.

Here are a few pics from the beach:




He loves to feel the sand in his toes.

First time in the backpack for a walk down the beach, he loved it!
This is for all of you that wanted a belly pic - I am now 30 weeks pregnant and feel like I swallowed a basket ball.
My little surfer girl.
At the Santa Barbara Zoo.
I just love those little blond curls coming out of his hat and those sweet baby cheeks.
Fascinated with what is outside.

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited to hear about Dylan's latest progress! He really DOES have the cutest smile, so it makes sense that he would have the cutest voice to match. :-) I was wondering when he got his first teeth? Kaylee has been teething for eons, but nothing has broken through yet, and I am getting nervous. I wish Dylan love and luck as he continues to grow and develop, and be sure to have that video camera handy to record these and the next big milestones.
    And you look FABULOUS, btw~ pregnancy agrees with you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled with all of the Dylan News!!! He is making great strides. I love that he said his first word, I'm sure he will be chatting up your ears in no time. I love how well he is standing, it is so amazing how far he has come, from a cast not long ago to standing on his own. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What great news, considering last post you felt like he hadnt improved. This is so good. He really looks like he is growing up too.

    P.s You look GREAT pregnant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news! Eating and talking and standing, oh wow! I would love to hear his sweet voice someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like he's doing great! And yay for eating real food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for chewing! I know exactly how you feel. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. If you would like me to reply to your comment click on "subscribe by email" at the bottom of the page.